Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Partner - the movie

The last David Dhawan movie I saw was when I was 18. Those days, I used to be highly opinionated and dismissive about things and people that didn't seem intelligent enough (I think it was called 'attitude' :)) . I rolled my eyes, screwed up my nose and made my displeasure known in several ways. A friend then told me 'Puja, when you grow older, you'll LOVE the lack of logic, the idiocy of these films. Its what you will want to do at the end of the day.' I promised him I definitely would not.

So when Puch (she, on her part confessed she'd leave her brains behind) booked tickets for Partner, I laughed at myself and wondered how this one would turn out. And oh! was I surprised.

Like a lot of Hindi movies, the story is not original. Infact it is oh-so-not-original that you even know what'll happen next if you've seen its English counterpart Hitch. But also like most Hindi movies, it has its own, very original dash of drama, dialogue and dance. And this is the part to be enjoyed I realize: the wild imagination, the troupe of colour-clad men and women appearing from nowhere to charm the heroine, the twists and tweaks that give it an endearing Indian flavor, the love-sickness everyone in the film suffers from, the final wedding-crashing-bride-stealing routine... you might have seen the original but this one is worth a dekko too.

Salman and Govinda don't do so many films anymore, so watching them was fun. Yes Salman takes his shirt off often enough and YES, Govinda does his silly-goose-maddening-jokery often enough too. Katrina is charming as ever and the perfect choice for the dainty heiress played by Cameron Diaz in Hitch. Lara Dutta is sexy and steady. The music is fantastic, mostly band-baaja types, no soft romantic stuff there, you have to get up and dance. That's the message.

There wasn't a huge turnout, but its also the middle of the week. I recommend the movie, if you're looking at some fun and funny entertainment.

No comments: